Characteristics of Scientific Research
Research and Development | Scientific Research Methods
R & D
Scientific research is the application of scientific method to the investigation of relationships among different variables to find out solutions of the problems or to develop a new theory.The characteristics of scientific research are as follows:
- Purposiveness: Scientific research must have some specific purpose for conducting the research. In conducting further research process, all the activities to be carried out is directly influenced by the purpose of the research ie; the purpose of the research forms the basis of your procedures which influences your methods of executing it and affects the interpretation of your findings.
Therefore, if your research has followed some major purpose, meaningful results can be obtained but if your research is without purpose it will lead your study nowhere.
- Testability: In scientific research, there is an important need to test the hypothesis to understand and find out the relationship between dependent and independent variables. Therefore, testability is one of the important characteristics of scientific research.
- Replicability: Scientific research must be replicable as the research results which are replicable have more acceptability and confidence as being scientific. Replicability means that if we use similar methods and procedures of data collection and analysis as compared to the previous study, the other research studies must also come out with similar results.
- Objectivity: Scientific research must be objective in nature.Objectivity is one of the important characteristics of scientific research.Scientific research must deal with facts rather than interpretations of facts.The data that is collected for research should be free from all biases and vested interests ie; observation should be unaffected by the observer’s values, beliefs and preferences to the extent possible and he/she should able to see and accept facts as they are, not as he/she might wish them to be.
- Rigor: Scientific research must be carried out carefully with proper thought-out methodology.In order to make a meaningful and worthwhile contribution to the field of knowledge, research must be carried out rigorously. Conducting a rigorous research requires a good theoretical knowledge and a clearly laid out methodology. This will eliminate the bias;facilitate proper data collection and analysis, which in turn would lead to sound and reliable research findings.
Check Your Domain Authority
- Parsimony: Scientific research must have the feature of parsimony ie; the research should be conducted in simple and economic manner.There should be simplicity in explaining the problems and generalizing solutions for the problems.The vague ideas should be converted into simple concepts.
- Generalizability: Scientific research must have the characteristics of generalizability. The results obtained from the research must be applicable and acceptable worldwide. Generalizability refers to the scope of applying the research findings of one organizational setting to other settings of almost similar nature. The more generlizable the research, the greater will be its usefulness and value. However it is not always possible to generalize the research findings to all other settings, situations or organizations.