Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
Syllabus| BBA Seventh Semester
Pokhara University (PU)
Course Title:Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
Course code: NBE 398
Credit hours: 3
The main objectives of the course are to prepare students to be able to:
- identify flaws in arguments
- analyze the reasoning in newspaper articles, books and speeches
- assess the credibility and evidence and authorities
- make sound decisions and solve dilemmas
- approach any topic with the ability to reason and think critically.
This is a course in critical thinking and problem solving for students who need reasoning skills for life and work. It focuses on the process of reasoning in a clear-headed and critical way, with the aims of developing an awareness of the importance of reasoning and of improving skill in analyzing and evaluating arguments.
The following themes or topics are included:
- introduction to reasoning
- analyzing reasoning
- evaluating reasoning
- recognizing implications
- evaluating evidence and authorities
- skills in the use of language
- exercising the skills of reasoning
- constructing reasoning
The teaching method should be such that it guides students through the processes of critical reasoning in a clear and engaging way. Attention needs to be given to evaluating the credibility of evidence and constructing reasoning, and in doing all the exercises.
Thomson, A. Critical Reasoning: A Practical Introduction. New York: Routledge.
1.Fisher, A. E. Critical Thinking: An Introduction. Cambridge: CUP.
2.Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary of Current English. Eighth Edition. Oxford: OUP.
3.Leech, G. N., & Jan Svartvik. A Communicative Grammar of English. London: Longman.