Guided and Unguided media | Transmission Media |Types of Transmission Media | Communication Media | Management Information System | Management Notes
What do you mean by guided and unguided media?
Guided and unguided transmission media differs in a way that one uses a closed path to transmit or communicate information whereas another uses air to transmit or communicate the information. Both the guided media and unguided media are used by the people as per their necessity, need, convenience and capacity. The difference between guided and unguided media is explained below in a structured manner along with the proper examples.
Guided and Unguided media
Guided Media / What do you mean by guided transmission media?
The transmission media in which the information is transmitted over a closed path such as a physical wire is called Guided Media. So, they are also called wired communication media or bound communication media.
What are the types of guided transmission media?
The various examples or types of Guided Media include:
a) Twisted Pair Cable: They are the most popular form of communication media having two insulated copper wire insulated in a spiral. They make the world’s public telephone line communication.
- Shielded twisted pair (STP) Cable
- Unshielded twisted pair (UTP) Cable
b) Coaxial Cable: It is a faster and more reliable alternative to twisted pair cable is a coaxial cable. It is used to connect the cable line on the television.
c) Optical Fiber: It is the fastest and most reliable communication medium is an optical fiber which uses a very thin glass or plastic fiber through which pulses or light travels.
Unguided Media / What are unguided media?
The communication media that transmits the information through the air in much the same way as radio stations broadcast their programming is called unguided media. They are also called unbound wireless transmission media or unguided transmission media because they do not use any physical wire or a closed circuit for data communication.
What are the types of unguided media?
The various examples or types of Unguided Media include:
a) Microwave: Microwaves are unguided communication media that use a high-frequency band of a radio broadcast transmission to transmit the data through space (wireless communication).
b) Satellite: A satellite is an amplifier or repeater that receives information from one location on the earth, repeats the data, and sends it to one or more receiving locations on the earth.
c) Radio broadcast: Radio Broadcast is an unguided communication medium similar to microwaves and satellite except that the receiving locations need not be in the line of sight or have a dish-shaped antenna to receive information transmission.
d) Infrared: Infrared is an unguided communication medium that uses a red light (below the human eye) to transmit information.
e) Bluetooth: It is a wireless radio frequency technology that allows various devices to communicate with each other.
Questions and Answers
1. Which network component connects a device to the transmission media?
Answer 1: Network Interface Card (NIC)
2. Which of the following is a transmission media on which data, instructions, or information travel?
Answer 2: Communication channel
3. What transmission media is used for normal telephone service?
Answer 3: Twisted-pair cable
4. Which of the following is another term for transmission media?
Answer 4: Communications Channel
5. Which of the following is true of broadcast radio with regard to physical transmission media?
Answer 5: It is slower and more susceptible to noise.
6. Which of the following is not a commonly used type of guided media?
A. Twisted-pair wiring
B. Coaxial cable
C. Fiber-optic cable
D. Transmission control protocol/internet protocol [Correct Answer]
7. Which of the following is not a type of cable used in wired networks?
Ans 7: Unshielded coaxial cable
- Concept and Nature of Intellectual Property Rights – Explained in Detail | Business Law - January 30, 2024
- Management Information Systems Online Degree – Courses, Colleges, and Careers in MIS - January 16, 2024
- When all the numbers between 0 and 100 in a range should be displayed in red color apply? - January 14, 2024